Thursday, April 05, 2007

project 365 #95: drinking liberally

I went to DL tonight for the first time in ages and it was really nice. Saw a lot of old friends, made some new ones: it was lovely. Even the part where I thought I was in a 1979 Wim Wenders film was cool, honestly. No, it was lovely and fun and much beer was had by all and I even got roped into a political discussion (the avoidance of which at Drinking Liberally is one of my personal goals.) DL, BTW, AOAA (and other annoying acronyms) is, as you know, the political drinking group whose Asheville chapter I cofounded, and so I try to avoid politcs there because occasionally, I have been known to take the art of contrariness to fine heights.

And now, I must go watch some weird movie that I don't know what it is that seems to be playing in my living room. The scary thing about that is that I picked these movies out, so I know they're weird, I just can't remember which four I picked in some odd moment at Orbit.

My daughter just came in and said she had to boil all the eggs. "What?" I said,
"We're egg dying at work." she said,
"And you have to use MY eggs?"
"Mom." she explained, "Please."
"Okay," I said, "But they're brown."
"Oh. My. God." said my daughter, "Oh hell what do I do now?"
"Well,": I said, "I guess it's the 24 hour Ingles for you."
"No," she wailed, "I don't want to go to Ingles.":
So I thought for a while and finally my creative mind kicked in. "I know! We can carve white eggs out of bars of soap. . . of course, we'll have to go to, uh, Ingles to get 12 bars of soap and then spend all night carving them meticulously into eggs but it'll be easier than going to Ingles!"
"Turn around, Mom," said my son, who had just come into the kitchen, and he gently spun the chair around to face the computer again. "Just turn around."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on your blog from one of your comments on mefi. Insta-crush. Won't watch saw but champions the coca cola kid?? My kind of person. I was the movie picker outer for my group of friends in college. They still make fun of me for showing them that movie.

- vronsky

(and I used to live just south of you in columbus nc, on white oak mountain - gorgeous)

Anonymous said...

Hands off! This means you! She's my crush!

You should have gone for the carved bars of soap. :)

mygothlaundry said...

Now boys - there's enough to go around. ;-)

Anyway, I crush back instantly on anyone who likes the Coca Cola Kid. Noone likes that movie! Only like 12 people have ever even seen it! Excellent. Another Coca Cola Kid fan - let's band together and start a cult or something.

Edward said...

Oh, every bloke should drink McCoke! and then if you bounce off Eric Roberts, you have Runaway Train, which I also like.