Monday, April 02, 2007

project 365 #92: newly orange office

My office is orange! And white! And fabulous! I'm so excited; it's truly pathetic. My office has been depressing and half finished and full of dust and crud and old tape on the walls ever since I started working there last August. Finally, now, it's amazing and wonderful and feels nice - nicer, possibly, than an office should. I like it better than my house - god knows it's cleaner, now that I spent all day tidying it up.

I went over to my mom's after work today and she gave me a laundry basket and an article about autism for my daughter and $50 to buy groceries, which was very nice. We pulled out this French porcelain egg cup thing - it has a platter, and a lovely bowl with a rooster on top of it, and 12 little egg cups, and 2 tiny little tray things that I guess were for salt and one eeeny porcelain spoon for the salt. My mother is thinking about dying eggs for Easter but I think she has probably gone mad. I am not doing Easter anymore: my kids are, respectively, 24 and 15 and that's too old for Easter baskets. I mean, my god, I could spend $30 on chocolate and easter grass and jelly beans that noone will eat and little tweeting fuzzy things that sit around the house until the dog chews them up and possibly some other kind of eastery gimcrack novelty like yellow bunny ears, or I could give each kid $10 which they could promptly spend on whatever it is they spend money on - small amounts of drugs, probably - and they'd be happier and I'd have saved $10. This strikes me as a better deal and one which, forsooth, does not involve a trip to the Mart of Ultimate Evil. Also the dog will not be sick, which is always a net gain.

"I'm not doing Easter," I said to my mother.
"No?" she said, "I guess it's your Aunt Ginny who always does Easter."
"Does she?" I said, with mild interest, "The whole thing?"
"Oh yes," said Mom. "Catholics, you know."
"I'm not all that Catholic anymore," I said, "As you may have noticed."
"No," said my mother, "Neither am I."
"I do Beltane now," I said firmly. "Fires. More fun than baskets."
"And you wonder, " said my mother, "Where M gets it from."

3 comments:

Edward said...

New office looks so nice. What are those ice cream on a stick with the orange sherbert and vanilla ice cream? Creamsickle or Dreamsickle? The colors remind me of that.

Did you rasterbate that big flower picture on the wall? I rasterbate at work sometimes.

Gordon Smith said...

You wonder, indeed.

mygothlaundry said...

Yeah, that's my rasterbation. I'm very fond of it and thinking about making another one or two. Pity I have no wall space left at home!

Heh, I don't wonder. I know.