Sunday, April 22, 2007

project 365 #111: emily and emma

I had such great plans this weekend to clean this entire house down to the ground and completely trash out and empty the basement and the shed. Alas, it's 2:00 on Sunday afternoon and, well, we did the dishes yesterday and pulled some stuff out of the basement but that's it. However, I did walk over to my friends Z & H's house and see their lovely garden and then S & I went over to my friend E's (pictured here) and hung out and drank some beers and ate great smoked baby back ribs and it was very nice. So it's not that I haven't had a good weekend - just not a particularly productive one.

Still flipping out over the housing situation; still no changes. E has a friend D who's a real estate agent and she was telling me about a house in this neighborhood that's just listed. The people bought it for $36,000 and they're selling it, two weeks later, for $150,000. She thought I should make an offer for my paltry bit of money - $100,000 - but my real estate agent is less encouraging and the whole damn thing is so effing depressing. Why can't I find a house for 36K? Who the hell sells a house in West Asheville for less than 150K?

And I hate being one of the artists who moves to a cool neighborhood only to be followed by yuppies who then gentrify me way the hell out and complain about the crack whores and put CHAIN theme bars up on Haywood Road in what used to be the smoke filled rooms of Eddie, my favorite grizzled mechanic. Bah.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No fair, you ladies never age.

E probably remembers Cletus, the band, from years ago in Charleston. Well, they had a reunion gig recently and have a myspace page now (www.myspace.com/cletustheband). I always wondered if their song "E" might have been about E, but I was afraid to ask....

Come hear Jello Biafra speak in Spartanburg May 7th! (www.groundzerorocks.com)

Lee H. said...

The people bought it for $36,000 and they're selling it, two weeks later, for $150,000.

Criminey. The real estate situation in this country both infuriates me and makes me depressed.

mygothlaundry said...

I went to look at the house, which, btw, already sold for the asking price; same day as it went on the market. I don't know why I bothered; it just made me sick and depressed and miserable because it was a beautiful house, exactly what I want and 5 years ago if I'd been able to buy it would have been like 85 or 100. I hate that I have to leave my neighborhood but it sure looks like I do. God damn.

mygothlaundry said...

oh and haskell, I'd LOVE to go see Jello Biafra but fuck, man, I have to move. I can do nothing else.

Asheville Web Designers said...

HEY! I'm FAMOUS!

Hey Haskell..
Of course "E" is about me
It's ALL about me! I RULE!


Jello, huh..hummmmmmmmm
That would be a game day decision.