Monday, April 23, 2007

project 365 #113: my soon to be ex house

I have had one of those not so good very bad awful gruesome days today. Nothing particularly extreme happened; it's just that I woke up tired as hell with a sore throat and then work was meeting meeting meeting basically all day and then I went to look at that house that I knew I couldn't afford only to discover that a) it sold for the asking price already and b) it's exactly the house I would love to live in and c) I'm going to have to leave my neighborhood and it's no good thinking that there's any way I'm going to be able to stay here and it makes me want to cry or scream or rant or throw things or possibly strap on some Doc Martens and kick me some yuppie ass. I ran into a couple of friends at the Ingles (another reason for the bad mood - the weekly gigandor Ingles trip) and that just reminded me of how much I love living here and how many friends I have here and fuck, I'm going to have to move out of my comfy west asheville enclave and go to a whole new neighborhood because. . .

Because, in a story that has been repeated many, many times in the history of the world, I'm an artist and I moved here back before West Asheville got cool and hip and yet then more people moved here and more and then more and all of a sudden there were people with more money than I'll ever have buying up everything in the neighborhood and so now I have to leave. God fucking damn it. I should probably go back to Baltimore or somewhere similarly unscenic - Detroit? South Dakota? - where noone with any money wants to live and give up on the lovely garden spots of this world.

Maybe I'll be able to come back to Asheville one day after the developers have finally killed off this egg laying goose and the derelicts and feral street children with tattooed faces and Uzis are living in the ridgetop McMansions and the wailing of the yuppies can be heard throughout the cracked pavement that covers each and every inch of what was once a small valley in the mountains. I am living for this day, when I'll roll into town in black leather and spikes in my specially reinforced Saturn station wagon with my own feral children leaning out the window manning the grenade throwers and we'll take all the water and oil and go dance with Tina Turner. Or something like that. Clearly, though, black leather and spikes are a growth market and I'm going to go invest my money in canned food and shotguns. I think I can probably afford half a shotgun and a rather largish can of black beans.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know it's a longshot, but I saw these auction listings while researching something else:

SAT. MAY 5 DIVORCE LITIGATION
128 MIMOSA DRIVE MALVERN HILLS
ASHEVILLE, NC
10:00 AM -CONTENTS
12:00 NOON -REAL ESTATE
TRUCK SOLD AFTERWARD

SAT. MAY 18 ON-SITE REAL ESTATE AUCTION
3 WILBURN ROAD
DECEASED ESTATE OF FRANK S. ZWOLINSKI
WEST ASHEVILLE, NC
4:00 PM REAL ESTATE ONLY

Estate Auction - Upcoming Within the Next Few Weeks
- Date to be Announced - 24 Panorama, Leicester Hwy. Asheville, NC
Brick Ranch, Large Lot 3 Bedroom,.2 Bath, Full Basement and Remaining Contents. Estate Information Forthcoming

Deceased Estate - Pending Court Approval for Auction Date.

Link to MAPQUEST
________________________________________________________________

3242 Anderson Cove Road Marshall, NC 28753
(828)649-9882 (828)273-8833
NCAL 2789 NCAFL 7879

Anonymous said...

Who runs Bartertown!?

*hug*

Hang in there.

waz said...

great post. i've been wanting to aquire an apache helicopter, but hey, a saturn wagon is even better to add to the anti-yuppie milita.

i've been following your posts lately with your real estate problems because we just went through the exact same thing. we love w.ash but had to move all the way out to west west of west asheville and become white trash and drink at places like the jus-1-mor, because i work my ass off and still cannot afford to live where i want to. when you find your place make an offer day 1 or it will go.
thanks for the good posts - keep it up!

mygothlaundry said...

Thanks, woz. It's good to know that I'm not the only person going through this shit - although I wish none of us was!

and thanks for the auctions, haskell, I actually saw one of those, the one in Malvern Hills, but I'm not really clear on how house auctions work. Don't you have to have cash or something to buy a house at auction?

Anonymous said...

Not that I'm vendictive about all the development or anything, but it looks like the housing price bubble that's fueling all this may be about to 'splode. It may not impact the Asheville market for a number of local reasons, but it's not impossible that there will be A LOT of foreclosed-upon homes available in the next few years.

Here's a URL to one story about it, which came from the Drudge Report:
http://www.economicpolicymonitor.com/2007/04/ranieri-first-time-in-history-median.html