Saturday, May 05, 2007

project 365 #124: office birthday gift

Party party party party. Party on, dudette: yesterday was my birthday and totally partied on down. It's amazing that I don't feel worse today - the party was still going strong when I slipped away and went to bed at around 2:30 or so. I know it's lame to crash out at your own party but oh well, I'm so old now that I can disregard basic laws of etiquette like that one.

So I got some nice stuff for my birthday - as seen on the right, some bubble lights and a fern and some chocolate and a wonderful get lost doormat from my coworkers. N gave me the Allman Brothers live at Fillmore East and Fruit That Ate Itself by Modest Mouse. My lame children A & M gave me cards with promises of presents to come, when they get less lame. My friend J made me a most amazingly wonderful Prom Queen tiara out of pink foam and jewels and my friend S gave me a totally fantastic brightly painted steel mask that she made herself and which says Ohhhhhhh Shit on it. My friend D brought me some fancy cleaning spray so I can clean up this house when I move; my friend M brought a bottle of wine and a couple of my other friends gave me another form of consumable. And my friend J the potter gave me a certificate for one of her coffee mugs AFTER I move, which was adorable and totally sweet and smart of her. So I got great loot; the food was great; the people were great and D brought a couple of her puppies and succeeded in giving one of them away - to A, hee hee. It was an excellent party. Awesome, even.

So. I am now going to officially declare something that all of y'all may have to remind me sternly of in the future: I am NEVER internet dating again. No. Never again. I'm just too strange and picky for it and if I'm going to date anyone I have to start with an actual man who I've met in a nonvirtual sense and then maybe discover somewhere along the line that he's a good writer - it can't be the other way around. It's never worked before and it didn't work this time and I think I can now confidently say that it will never work in the future. I know, there are lots of people for whom it does work just fine, but not me. I am just too damn weird - also too damn willing to overlook the sensible rules that sensible people follow - and that's okay. I have a feeling that I can find a guy in the old fashioned way and if not? Well, hell - that hasn't killed me yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haaaaa, you are too funny.