Friday, June 29, 2007

project 365 #180: damselfly

There's a lot to be said for getting the picture of the day out of the way by 8:00 a.m. I explored further into the secret mystery park (I refuse to give the location, because there is nobody there at 7:30 in the morning and I can let the dogs off leash to run and run and run and nobody, but nobody, is going to mess with my newly found morning peace) and went under the highway, which was very cool. Then this fortuitous bug flew by my nose and posed, which was extremely nice of him. I said thank you.

Went briefly to DL last night and it was interesting as always. I hung out with my friend C, too, which was fun. Other than that, it was work. And the grocery store, always a thrill a minute experience, right?

However. My underwear is falling off again today. I must therefore post a small rant about underwear and how idiotically difficult it is to get decent underwear these days. I know all about this, since, thanks to my dogs, I have become something of an underwear expert. I have been shopping for underwear on a weekly basis for several months now and I have this to say: contemporary underwear industry? You SUCK. It used to be that I could find bikini underwear - which is my underwear of choice - in lots of funky patterns and/or materials, cheap, everywhere. Now, everything is boy shorts and they look dumb on me and I hate all the other options, like briefs, which are just too gross for words - ditto thongs - or anything else in the strange and confusing world of ladies' underwear. Nevertheless, I must persevere. So I bought a pair of bright green lace boy shorts with bright pink lace trim the other day on the theory that they were so ugly, they were cute. They keep falling down. They're not the only pair of new underwear that has this issue, and the old ones, forget it. The elastic has gone and they're all just one small misstep away from making Haywood Road history. I'm starting to feel like an Art Frahm painting about to happen and since, actually, I do need celery, the resemblance could get even closer this afternoon. As amusing as that is, I don't want to be in the Ingles parking lot with a bag full of celery and my undies around my ankles. But I may have no choice. If only I could sue.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't advise you on underwear, but if you're looking for entertainment this weekend, I can advise you (and your readers) to attend the Blue Ridge Rollergirls' first public bout, Saturday 7pm at Carrier Park. I'm not sure, but I think it will be on that lacrosee court inside the bicycle track. Some of Greenville's Reedy River Rollergirls will be helping out. Flyer available at blueridgerollergirls.com (I'd go, but I'm headed to Charlotte for Fetchin Bones' 20-year reunion show.)

Edward said...

I know that secret mystery park, but pass it in the evening on my secret mystery bike ride circuit. You know where that ends up right?

A week or so ago, there was a pickup truck parked down there and the driver's door was open. I noticed what appeared to be a woman's legs in high heels, as I could see all the way under the truck. This is a strange place to be wearing high heels, I thought. When I finally rode past, I saw the actual woman in high heels, standing by the open driver's door, and she was wearing other apparel that seemed odd for such a location. Then it didn't seem odd. Then I kept riding and didn't look back.

I can relate to the underwear troubles, and I think it has to do with China. Used to be, I could easily find comfortable man-panties, no problem. Back then, textiles were still made in the USA. Now I try cheap or expensive, various brands, etc, and there is always some issue that makes them not quite right... Alas.

THE JANE DOE JOURNALS said...

Try Jockey for her, Elance® String Bikini - 3 Pack.
These are the most comfortable underwear I've ever worn. They sell then at Macy's which took over Hecht's. You can find them online at: http://www.jockey.com/en-US/Catalog/Silhouette.aspx?CategoryName=Women&DepartmentName=Underwear&SilhouetteName=String%20Bikini&List=122&Ma=115

Anonymous said...

I wear Jockey for Her myself. I get mine at JC Penneys...it's not cheap but they do go on sale occasionally.

I am cheapcheapcheap but when it comes to my drawers, gotta be a little picky.

mygothlaundry said...

Aha! Jockey for her - I will totally look for these.