Wednesday, June 13, 2007

project 365 #164: neighbors chimney and sky

M is leaving tomorrow and to this end his father is here. He was going to take the bus, but after I looked at all the decimated Greyhound schedules and realized that getting pretty much anywhere at all in West Virginia or Maryland entails 15 odd hours in a bus with several midnight transfers in small unknown towns (and bus stations are always so scenic and folksy at 3:00 am) I decided that despite M's incredible coolness factor and much vaunted toughness, I personally was not going to be happy if he was on a bus heading north. Yeah, I love living in a country with no public transportation worthy of the name. So his dad drove down from WV and they're heading back up tomorrow, thence to Baltimore and thence to the Delaware shore.

I wish I could go too but alas I must work madly all weekend. It's busy as hell at work and I'm actually busting ass right now and coming home wiped out. The next four days will be even worse and I have to find someone to hang out with Django now too. Today he wasn't too bad - he tipped over a shelf on the deck and then ate everything on it. That means that he completely destroyed all my cacti, which were about four years old and super cool, a brand new Boston fern (he shredded the plant, the roots and the pot), the log carrier, the large pruning shears and the Coca Cola thermometer that the kids got me for Christmas about five years ago and of which I was rather fond. He also took the plunger out of the bathroom and ate that. For dessert, I guess. But here in Django world, this counts as a fairly mild daily tax. Except it doesn't leave a lot out there for him to destroy, which means he might turn his attention indoors next.

Argh. Want to come over and just hang out with my dog while I'm at work?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe this is crazy, but has django ever had a crate? you can put him in it when you're not at home? it would cost you less than what it would cost to replace what he ate today, a good day.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good argument for a zen lifestyle. No possessions, nothing for Django to destroy.

mygothlaundry said...

Yeah, I've thought about the crate but he's already 10 months old and I think it's nearly impossible to crate train a dog that age. Besides, I'd have to get 2 crates, one for Theo, and where on earth would I put them? These are not small dogs. Also, I feel like he needs more exercise, not less. I don't know, it probably would work. I'm trying to take a Buddhist approach to it, exactly - he is teaching me the futility of earthly possessions. Anyway Friday I'm going to drop him at the vet's in the morning for some shots and a checkup so he'll be gone all day. Yay!