Thursday, June 28, 2007

project 365 #178: theo in the den

Not having the internet at home is getting really old really fast. Where are all you technical wizard types when I need you? Help!

I have now discovered two distinct places on the television machine, though. First I found the Sci Fi channel, home of such awesomeness as the giant shark and man eating crocodile movies, which as we know I am partial to, and a lot of inexplicably military focused futuristic space dramas, which I am not so fond of but will watch if the alternatives are all boring "realistic" shows in which people who have more money than I ever will make stupider remarks than I ever will in their giant unrealistic homes. I like my fantasy straight up, thanks - the more out there, the better. And they have ghost hunting programs, bonus, even if the ghost hunters are all nerdy wannabe hipsters with unconvincing snarky lines and Bigfoot hunting shows with surprisingly huge budgets in which the Bigfoot hunters, who have a lot in common with the ghost hunters, fly all over the globe as delineated in a charmingly old fashioned lines on a map to talk to just this side of drooling Bigfoot Scientists whereever they may be. Yay, Sci Fi channel.

The other channel I like is only two clicks away (not on the remote. There is no remote since Django ate it lo these many months gone and also the buttons on the TV are wonky and when you go to adjust the volume it usually changes the channel, but that's another story.) and it's Animal Planet, which mostly has truly horrible, unceasing commercials but also runs that Planet Earth documentary that I'm so addicted to on Wednesday nights. Last night they did forests and caves and showed baobab trees in Madagascar with foot long exploding flowers that were stalked by hand sized lemurs with giant eyes, causing me to become near catatonic with glee. Then they showed giant Texas cave salamanders who looked like flash animations of themselves and cave fish and cave crystals and horrible alien bacterial life forms called, appropriately, snotties. Too cool. In between they ran a lot of ridiculous commercials for dumb pet stuff, but who cares? Baobab trees!

1 comment:

Lee H. said...

I'm addicted to the "Animal Cops"/"Animal Precinct" shows on Animal Planet... they're the only thing on TV that I watch regularly.