Saturday, June 09, 2007

project 365 #159: behind the westville pub at sunset

So you probably didn't think I was serious about getting rid of Django, did you? Neither did I, but then I came home last night and discovered that in the three hours he'd been inside he had knocked over a big vase, shredded the artificial flowers contained within (okay, yeah, but I swear they were cute and just the thing that odd corner needs, besides, I just fucking got them) shredded a shoebox, gotten up on my dresser, taken a bracelet and eaten that, gone into M's room, tipped over his hamper, spread his laundry all over the floor and eaten some of it. That's all I know about but jesus. So I snapped and called first my children and then my mother to tell them that I was taking the dog to the pound in the morning. A called back and said she would take him - she's the one who found him in the first place, after all - and I said, good. Fine. Yes.

I had been in a really good mood yesterday afternoon too and looking forward to kicking back at home for a couple hours before meeting some friends at the Westville for either the movie or the trivia. So after I calmed down a bit I made myself a stiff vodka tonic and carried it out onto the deck to drink it while I called my mother and she told me that anyone else would have gotten rid of the dog a long time ago (my mother, who is tougher than me, has no qualms about summarily dispatching dogs who mess with her furniture.) I listened to this and sipped my drink and thought, wow, it sure tastes mild considering how much vodka there is in it. Oh well, I haven't had a drink in a week or so, I've probably forgotten. Then I went back into the kitchen to make dinner and that's when I found the glass of vodka sitting on the counter next to the empty bottle, because apparently what I did was take an identical, empty glass, fill it with tonic and ice, and drink that. Without noticing. Because I guess it's all over now and soon they will have to come and take my drooling self off to the moron ward.

This morning of course I felt guilty about Django (he's not that dumb; he was all cute and good and obedient this morning) and I started reinforcing the fence, thinking, I cannot take another perfectly healthy beautiful dog to the pound no matter how destructive he is, I just can't do it. Maybe it will work this time. Maybe if I. . . But then A showed up (with J; naturally, argh) and I handed him over without much of a qualm. I did make a few weak comments about possible joint custody and so on but hopefully that won't come to pass.

Although, like A, I too am locked in a dysfunctional relationship and I wouldn't put money on Django not returning to trash the house some more in the near future. Argh.

1 comment:

Edward said...

Hang on to the lack of the destructive dog, it can be a powerful force in your life. Each day, revel in what is not ruined by him. Enjoy your other dog, who is your friend.