Saturday, March 03, 2007

project 365 #62: max patch distant kite

The wind at Max Patch today was like nothing I've ever experienced, and I've been for walks in the wake and edge of hurricanes. It nearly knocked me flat, a couple of times, and my ears are still kind of ringing seven hours later. My friend S. gave up and retreated a bit behind the bald for some protection; I tried to get to the absolute top of Max Patch and couldn't even make it all the way. That sounds so ridiculous, and it was, but it's true: I couldn't get to the top of Max Patch. I thought the wind was literally going to blow me off the side of the world. It was fantastic. It was amazing. It was like, well, nothing, because I don't think there is anything that quite compares to trying to stand up in that kind of wind on top of a mountain on a blue, blue day. It was 70 mph winds hitting you from every side until you can barely stand, with your hair completely standing out on end from your head (I think I have dreads now. So that's where they come from.) Wind like that blows all thought out of your head. It was great.

1 comment:

Lee H. said...

That sounds SO exhilarating... what a great view, too.