Saturday, December 31, 2005

Requiem

My Uncle Jack died yesterday, I'm sorry to report. I have little else to say really; we knew this was coming, I kind of did my mourning already, and, to be terribly honest, I really didn't know him well. My family is not very close; there are long stories here, but I don't feel much like getting into them. Uncle Jack was kind to me when I was a child. I was a late child, younger than his children, my cousins, and on the infrequent occasions when we visited them in Florida or at their summer house in Jackson County, I was alone a lot. He was whimsical and he liked children: neither of these were qualities I associated in my mind with adult men, so I was always charmed. He was charming, my Uncle Jack, and a great raconteur, and a font of stories about Florida before it turned into Disneyland/Retireeland/Environmental Disaster Land. I am sorry that he's gone and my heart goes out to my cousins, because I know just how tough this is, even if you've been expecting it for a long time.

No comments: