Saturday, February 24, 2007

project 365 #55: enka candler sonic

Young M spent the night at some friends house out in Enka/Candler. These friends recently moved and can't find their own house, so after N & I drove all over Sand Hill Road for a while looking for them, we bailed and went to Sonic. I like Sonic - if you're doing fast food, you might as well go whole hog, with the drive up thing and the bad music over the loudspeaker and the weird jalapeno burgers and texas toast. Also, the guy who was taking our order had a heavy Indian accent and the way he said "Would you like to make that a larrrrrrrrge coke?" made us both giggle uncontrollably.

N wants to build a raft out of bottles and coolers and PVC and assorted other junk and then live on it under a bridge on the French Broad river. I think this is an excellent idea and I wonder if it's possible (nobody owns the river, right? Do the cops even have jurisdiction? Does the Coast Guard? Why don't more people just live on the river?, ) so we wandered around Lowes for a while, discussing the rafting possibilities of giant plastic trash cans caulked shut and how to make a frame out of PVC and how, definitely, it would need a pirate flag. It was fun and I also got some pansies, which will look nice growing on the raft.

3 comments:

Gordon Smith said...

I was at that Sonic today, too. My server, sans expected roller skates, had a rich Canadian accent. What, the Enkans won't work at Sonic?

As a vegetarian, this is not the best restaurant for me, but I do like the smoothies and the drive-up and the Pour Some Sugar On Me.

Edward said...

That's a good question about living on the river. I know a good source of barely used 55 gallon drums with the lids still on them. A very good source of buoyancy. Lemme know, I hook N up.

OmieWise said...

I think it's legal, but only if the raft isn't tethered to the bank. When I lived up in Nantahala there were a bunch of people who had little house boats on the lake below Wesser Falls, there, and the law was as I said above. It might be different for moving water, I don't know. (The catch is definitely that they can't be tethered or touching the bank, because if so you need permission from the bank owner.)