Wednesday, May 10, 2006

School!

I went to class last night to learn CSS and PHP and XHTML and all kind of other exciting whooo whee kinda things that are going to make me into one of them hot shot web designers like you read about on the tee vee. And, actually, it was cool; I like my teacher - he's a million light years away from my last AB Tech "I will read the book aloud to you in this class even when it doesn't make sense because I am ditzy as all hell" flash teacher. I haven't sat in a classroom and learned really new things in, oh, about twenty years and I was surprised at how exciting it was. I could kind of feel my brain clicking on again, and it's about time for that to happen. I took four pages of notes and my right wrist hurts like hell today, but who cares, for as you may have noticed, I have already applied some of my new knowledge and that's why there is now a lovely pattern of leaves up at the top there instead of just the boring old blogger template. So I'm enthused and really hoping this leads to something, which it will, even if something is just more leaves all over my blog.

Now my friend J and I are talking about starting a design business and I think we probably will do that - I'll do web, she'll do print. Between the two of us, we really have everything we need (she has Illustrator, I have Dreamweaver - it's like that song about the roller skates, isn't it?) to get a nice little business going so keep your fingers crossed that that happens. We just need a name. I suggested Basket Case Design and she suggested Design One Step Short of Nervous Collapse and while we both kind of like Please We Have to Make Money in Asheville Before We Starve To Death Design it's just possible that these aren't quite catchy enough. So help us name our fledgling business!

4 comments:

THE JANE DOE JOURNALS said...

Cool! Maybe you will need a photographer.....

zen said...

For the business, how about Ellis Designs (LSDesigns) or My Ticket Out. Or even My Talent, Your Gain. Howzabout just Unbounded Talent?

Anyway, good luck! :) I started a business last year with my cousin, Zeke's Branch Design (for a relative we have in common).

Gordon Smith said...

I like Basket Case.

mygothlaundry said...

Alas! My business partner has decided that she's tired of being a graphic designer and she wants to get rich (she's reading a book about money and how to manage it) and so our business is just not going to happen. Damn. Because I need somebody else to keep me on track - left alone, I'm the worst slacker in the universe.