Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Road Vignettes

I seem to be in more of a list making mood than a writing mood lately, so here are seven things I have noticed while driving up and down the road from Asheville to Celo and back again and hither and thither around town:

a. There were 2 cardinals fighting madly at the end of a driveway, dipping up and down in a wild red flutter.

b. Fog wreathes the tops of mountains and dips down towards the highway. M says that all the oil in the asphalt of the interstate repels the fog and that's why it rarely touches the ground. I say that I have trouble believing this. He agrees that it may not be true.

c. I'm not sure if that was a wild turkey or a turkey vulture, standing there on the side of the road. Either way I'm excited, although we are supposed to venerate wild turkeys and hate turkey vultures.

d. Tobacco barns are pretty, silvered and gray. Why are regular barns red?

e. A pinto foal, trotting.

f. Yesterday in the rain at the stoplight I counted cars: white car, silver car, red truck. Yellow car, white truck, silver car. Red light, green light, blur.

g. The wildflowers alongside the interstate look like multicolored snow drifts scattered through the grass.

No comments: