Thursday, May 11, 2006

New Camera!

I have a new camera! I am extremely excited and I wish the weather would cooperate so I could go take a whole bunch of pictures, but alas, it keeps on threatening rain and/or actually raining, and, since this is my new camera, I'm terrified of getting it wet. Or dusty, or hot, because I've been reading the manual and it says those are conditions to avoid, which is going to be a problem in another month, when my entire house will be dusty, moist and hot. You're also not supposed to go along swinging it from the strap and banging it into things, which I had kind of figured out by myself, but then the people who write manuals have so much fun with all their dire warnings about the dangers of AA batteries and so on that somehow I just can't begrudge them telling me not to swing the camera hard into a brick wall.





This is a serious camera, yo. It came with tons and tons of accoutrements and several manuals in English and Spanish and large fold out charts, again in English and Spanish, telling me how to make it work. The manual is complex and written in tiny print, and right at this very moment I'm sitting on it, since I stuck it in my back pocket when we went to the park an hour ago to take pictures, just in case I needed to whip it out and consult it. I should have, too, but then I would have needed my magnifying librarian glasses and it was windy and also A was with me, and she gets horrified whenever I do anything particularly geeky, like read a camera manual in public. I need the manual though, since this camera has a bazillion buttons and menus and it's heavy and a little intimidating, which is all good. I want a camera that says "I am a Photographer" instead of one that says "I am Silly" which is kind of how I always felt when I was messing around with my old point & shoot. Not that I don't still love my old camera - it is an awesome little camera that has taken many wonderful pictures & I've learned a lot - but this new camera, now, this is a Camera. I have wanted a Camera my whole life, or, well, since I was about 12 or 13 and I've never had one before. This is awesome. I took it to my room with me last night so it wouldn't get stolen or mysteriously poltergeistilly bumped or spirited away and I haven't let it out of my sight since I woke up this morning. I am in love. At last, I am in love.

No comments: