Saturday, August 20, 2005

Party, Party: The Social Fliss

I went to a party tonight in Black Mountain. It was a very nice party, a joint birthday party for C, who was the host, and my friend J. There were more people there than I thought there would be, and I didn't know most of them when I first walked in. I was a little afraid that I'd found the wrong house, but I figured, well, a party is a party is a party. Thank you Gertrude Stein. Then I saw some people I knew, including my friend C, who announced after making the rounds that "Every man here is married." Damn. I had suspected as much. I did talk to two small boys about frogs at some length, and that was cool. Adults hardly ever want to talk about frogs, and I really like frogs. There was also a guy there who sang, and he remembered every Saturday morning cartoon show theme ever, including all the words to Land of the Lost. That was most awesome. I'm not sure why Land of the Lost keeps coming up lately (except as an extremely unsubtle metaphor for my life, okay) but for some reason, it's been the topic of conversation both online and off. It was a lovely party but I was very focused on not getting drunk, something that always tends to throw my social skills, which are alcoholically based, off. I succeeded though. I have to not be hungover tomorrow, because:

a) I am taking all the animals to the cheap shot clinic at Lake Julian. That will be horrifying and traumatic and I will probably qualify for free mental health care afterwards.

b) I'm going to another party tomorrow with the Asheville bloggers and I won't know anyone there except J moonbird and I want to be all charming and delightful and stuff. In the vague hope that there might be some single guys there. Also to get more people to read this blog thing. Also to meet some new and interesting people who don't say "You have a blog? What is that?"

c) the most important thing: M is coming home tomorrow!! Yay!! I am very excited except I'm worried that he won't love me anymore after so much time with his father. I know this is a pathetic & unworthy worry, but there you have it - it's mine. Also it means I will have to deal with his father who makes me nervous as hell. M will be pleased though - on Sunday we're going over to Grammas for a huge meat dinner with Uncle B. M goes back to his vegetarian hippy boarding school on the 28th, so he's going to want to stock up on as much meat and fast food as possible next week. I think it's getting to be time to officially bid farewell to my waistline.

Then I have also been invited to a party in Hendersonville on September 3, which I'm looking forward to because that will be all my old Charleston now in WNC friends, and it's always totally great to see them. At that party, I can relax. They already know the worst and they still invite me over once in a while. Yeah.

No comments: