Wednesday, July 11, 2007

project 365 #191: wildflowers in jug and sky

You know that cartoon character with the little rain cloud over his head? The one who walks around in a continual shower? AKA the truck driver from the Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy who was actually a rain god? Yeah, well, that has long been metaphoically me, I know, I know - but it seems to have moved into the realm of actual physical reality and that's bothering me a little. I mean, if some metaphorical thing in my life can take on tangible reality, why can't it be my vision of myself as the prom queen? Or a lottery ticket? Or that Frankensteined metaphorical perfect boyfriend?

But no. No, instead I manage to walk the dogs during what was apparently either a very localized (not unusual in WNC, where if you don't like the weather you should walk a half mile or so) or simply the only total downpour of the day. It started as I got out of the car at the river with the dogs and ended after our walk as I drove home. By the time I made coffee the sun was shining and birds were tweeting and my soaking clothes draped over chairs in the dining room near the panting, drenched and smelly dogs all looked bizarrely out of place.

I would take this in my stride if my cookout hadn't been rained out on Saturday and if it hadn't been raining, yesterday, outside my kitchen window, where I was, but not on the deck. Until I'd been there for a couple minutes, that is. Yes. Again, having it rain on one side of your house and not the other is uncommon but not totally eyebrow raising in Asheville - but it followed me. The rain loves me. And I would love the rain right back except if I really wanted just to stand next to the tomatos I'd use a bucket.

1 comment:

THE JANE DOE JOURNALS said...

Come out to see us, we could use some rain.