Thursday, July 05, 2007

project 365 #185: 4th of july fireworks 9

Yeah. Fireworks. The 4th of July. Patriotism. All that good stuff. It was really fun - went down to the Asheville Brewing Company for the special Drinking Liberally and all the usual suspects were there as well as some new people - although the guy who said he was going to come and burn a flag didn't show, rats - and my younger brother, who flew in for my Mom's birthday on Saturday, came too. Big fun; we wandered up to a church on Aston to watch the fireworks, which were awesome and I also got out of downtown just before the giant exodus clogged the bridge. This is also good.

My new neighborhood, being posher than my old neighborhood, doesn't have as many fireworks. I kind of lament this in the same way that I kind of lament the absence of crack whores, death wish kids on scooters and stray pit bulls. Which is to say, I know it's weird to miss these things, but damnit, I do. I'm not sure I really like suburbia and also I worry about the neighbors showing up at my door with torches and pitchforks at the new house. My recycling clinks so and it's not all organic juice bottles. Actually everyone is very nice and I do like the new neighborhood - it's just not what I'm used to. I guess I can get used to it; hell, I leave the car windows open and the doors unlocked and so far noone has strewn the contents of my glove compartment across the lawn. It's like they're not even trying. Who can understand the suburbs?

No comments: