Sunday, January 14, 2007

project 365 #14: audz birthday shoe shopping

Today is A's 24th birthday. It's pretty miraculous to think that it's been 24 whole years - sometimes it seems like yesterday and sometimes, you know, it sort of seems like 124 years. Depending. We spent the whole day together and actually had a really, really nice time. I spent waaaay too much money on her, which is what your mother is supposed to do, I think, on your birthday. We did brunch at Sunny Point, with my mother and my brother and surly young M, who complained about the wait, and my friend S, who is awesomely good at handling the whole family drama thing with aplomb and grace. Then M wandered off and A & I lay on the couch and watched 3 back to back episodes of The X Files and then we went to Discount Shoes on Brevard Road where she got some adorable tennis shoes and I got some fabulous short boots and then, after driving around laughing hysterically for a while trying to find somewhere to have a drink where we wouldn't stand out in our Sunday grungies, we ended up at Cheeseburger on Paradise, which, although it is a chain, is really awesome after the second or third massive, technicolor rum drink. And we have just now had the worst pizza ever from Franks Roman Pizza and come on home and, you know, it was really a lovely day.

Much better than a certain January 14, 24 years ago, when a terrified 19 year old went through 24 long, rough hours and then was presented with a howling small girl who already possessed decided ideas about her likes and dislikes, a strong ego and a full head of black hair which stood up straight. She looked like Quinn the Eskimo and she shrieked like a banshee and I had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to do with this baby, since I had pretty much never been near a newborn before. Yet we all seem to have come out of that, somehow, through the grace of whatever, more or less okay and certainly able to laugh at it all, which is, you know, more than half the battle.

1 comment:

Edgy Mama said...

I love that you two had such a fun day together. I hope my girl wants to spend her 24th birthday with me (of course, I'll be much older and less cool than you, so prolly not).

Discount Shoes totally rocks!