Monday, August 13, 2007

project 365 #224: orange butterfly 1

Yesterday was C's birthday and so we went up the mountain to Douglas Falls to get out of the heat and celebrate by being in the woods. Douglas Falls, which you get to by turning right in Barnardsville and then driving forever (and by forever, I mean until the point where you're both, like, we must have missed a turn, how could we do that, god I'm sick of being in the car, my back hurts, we have to get out of this car right now before we start to argue and so you finally pull over and then look to the left and realize that, hey, it's the end of the road and the trailhead to the falls!) is one of my favorite spots. It was teeming with butterflies and so, so beautiful. It's also located in one of those little time/space vortices that are so common around here - it takes an hour and a half to get there but only 45 minutes to get home. I swear this has held true every time I've ever been there. Go figure - like severely localized rain, it's one of those WNC things.

So I just got off the phone with Charter yet again and I'm composing a scathing letter of complete fury and disdain that will be posted here and, hopefully, everywhere else in Asheville and the world. I have been assured - for the fourth time - that my account has been fixed, that the money they have been withdrawing from my bank since May has been properly credited and that they are not going to shut my internet off again. Yesterday, in a display of charm, tact and remarkable customer service, they shut it off an hour after their extremely nasty rep had hung up on me. Today I spoke at some length with a supervisor. I also found out where their Asheville offices are and it's all I can do not to go straight on down there. Heavily armed. Or at least with a lawyer or six. Honestly, this whole thing has been unbelievable and horrific and if there was any, any viable alternative to Charter in the internet/TV world around here, I'd be going for it right now. Charter Communications are loathesome scum who deserve to be imprisoned in some kind of Dantean nightmare for eternity. Charter sucks. And sucks some more. And did I mention that they're evil scumsucking pig bastards? Because they are.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like BellSouth (now AT&T, I guess) who REALLY REALLY suckity suck suck suck. Maybe it just goes with having all that power over "the people"... maybe sucking is the prerequisite to becoming a successful communications monopoly. I say we go back to tin cans with strings for communicating, and Viewmasters for visual entertainment.

mygothlaundry said...

I know. One of the reasons I haven't already switched away from Charter is that my alternative is Bell South and I know how totally vile they are as well.

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, that's a frittilary.