Monday, June 12, 2006

Mourning the Loss of my Music

Well, it's official: I have totally lost my music. That #)$*%&#)@)ing million times damned SimpleTech USB hard drive has eaten all my music and all my pictures before May 25 and I am heartsick. I even tried a copy of this program with great hope in my heart but. . nope. Did nothing. In fact, clicking on that D drive not only didn't work, it froze and crashed my whole computer three times in a row and so I gave up. Now I guess I just have to figure out whether I try to return the damn thing to Circuit City or I mail it back to the manufactorer. And what about those rebates I never got around to sending for, since it broke so fucking fast? All my music, weep weep, a giant archive of peculiar and fabulous mp3s, and everything from my own collection that I had copied onto the computer - which is replaceable, but fuck, what a huge, enormous, weeping boil of a PITA. The only bright spot is that a) most of my photos are up on Flickr, so they're recoverable, and b) I did burn a CD of my random music in the beginning of January. Therefore, I only lost 6 months worth of music, but, of course, those WERE the 6 months that I had an emusic subscription and was really trolling around the internets for tunes. I don't even have a list of what I lost, but it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 songs. I weep. And then I curse. And if I didn't want my money back, I'd like to disembowel and burn this incredible piece of shit drive.

2 comments:

arratik said...

sounds silly, i know, but have you tried plugging the drive into another open usb port? it might be worth a try...

mygothlaundry said...

Alas, that didn't do it either. In the department of silver linings, though, they took it right back at Circuit City and gave me a full refund. They even refunded me the money I spent on a thing of batteries and a Coke the day I bought it, which was nice of them. ;-) I wish I'd gotten around to sending off for the rebates, though, because then, hell, I could actually have MADE money. But I didn't, and I figure the batteries & Coke money is fair enough pain and suffering payment. Some 300 songs - maybe more - gone forever.