Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Mostly Good News!!

It was a long day - for one thing, the surgery ended up being delayed two hours, and those were two hours I spent with my mom in the small and unexciting pre-op room, desperately making conversation on matters that were not of great import. For the most part.

But look, I'll cut to the chase, because my brother is here and it's beer drinkin' time. There was no diverticulitis after all. There was only one tumor, a big ole mother of a tumor, about the size of a softball, in her upper colon, in fact obstructing it, that had been causing all the issues. That tumor is gone, along with some of her colon and some of her bowel, but not enough for a colostomy bag, so all good, all good. The liver seemed healthy - more really excellent good news. They took some of the lymph to biopsy it: that outlook is not as good but we shall see. There's another, brand new problem: it looks like she had a small stroke in one eye a couple days ago and so now they would like to clean out her carotid artery. This is complicated by the fact that the doctor they sent to announce it is a doctor my mother hates passionately, and so they had a big fight and he stomped out. But enough of this.

Here is the gist: she's out of surgery. She's recovering well. The beautiful gardenia from Drinking Liberally came and I read her the card and she insisted on sniffing the gardenia and she was really touched. And she's doing better. She's doing way, way, way the fuck better, even if she doesn't feel it yet, and I know that it's because of all the vooodoooo that you do, in other words, the many good lights and prayers that have flooded her way. So thank you all, from the bottom of my heart, and I owe you way more than one, because suddenly it's looking as if in a month or so I will be arguing with my mother over whether we can plant that gardenia in the same place where I have always wanted to take out that wretched holly that's never done well. And I cannot imagine anything better.

love to you all
Felicity

8 comments:

jay said...

Excellent news, Fliss. Since you're not entirely out of the woods (though they're much thinner), I'll continue tosend vibes toward St. Joe's and to you. Peace...

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it! Still sending good thoughts your way as well. Benediciones!

Gordon Smith said...

Great News!

Anonymous said...

MGL that is so good to hear. Here's to a safe and speedy recovery, for both of you.

Anonymous said...

What a relief, hon. Hugs to you, and I hope things keep getting better.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear the good news.

Anonymous said...

That is most excellent news.

Anonymous said...

Yaaaaay! I'm so happy to read the good news! Huge hugs to you & your family, Flissie, and I hope your mom is back in action in no time.