Thursday, March 09, 2006

More Oogling Over James McMurtry; No Job For Me

I just got Childish Things, the relatively new CD from James McMurtry and I am a happy little pathetically enamoured fangirl. Yes. It is awesome and I am now listening to it for the second time in three hours.

It's windy out and I haven't really got a damn thing to say. I've been fiddling around with Dreamweaver; I can't make it do exactly what I want, but I'm getting close. I signed up to take some computer classes at ABTech over the next two months and I guess, I think, that I'm getting closer to sort of setting up my own little probably unprofitable mini business doing odd administrative thingies. Websites. Graphic Design. Writing. Editing. Event planning? Whatever comes up, I guess. I'm hoping to sort of cobble together a bunch of different little part time gigs and come up with one full time salary, although so far I haven't been able to do even that. I'm going to have to join the underground economy, obviously, because there just don't seem to be any straight jobs in Asheville. And Asheville is not a cheap place to live. Sometimes it makes me tired. I hear people (in other towns, possibly mythical towns, I grant you) talking about paying 1/4 to 1/3 of their income in rent and stuff like that - here, I pay 1/2, half of my old income when I had a real job a year ago, and my rent is low for West Asheville. I'm too old to live in a 3 bedroom house with 12 other people, and I like my garden, my yard, my fireplace and my space for cat and dog and son. But it does mean that I need to make a lot of money, a lot lot lot of money, and I obviously don't know how to do that.

I'd be thinking about leaving if it wasn't for family and friends, but I can't leave my mom, no matter what she says (she says, among other things, "Go ahead and go! I'm fine!" and - off topic but hilarious - "Why would the working classes need to learn French anyway?") and my son starts high school next year; I have friends here, and last but far from least, I don't want to leave. I love it here. And I don't want to feel like I'm being forced out, either. But sheesh, it does seem impossible to make it here anymore - and I can't find a boyfriend who lives in this godforsaken town either, there is that. James McMurtry seems inexplicably unlikely to leave his girlfriend and Austin and move here, go figure, and in all honesty I can't, at this point, recommend that anyone, whether famous singer/songwriter or not, move here and hope to make a living. God knows I can't manage it.

No comments: