Monday, January 17, 2005

Party Party Weekend: Festivus! Then Work Angst

My friend M's annual Festivus party, in exciting McClellanville, SC was totally fun and much great times, etc., was had by all. I rented a car - a shiny black groovy little Dodge which would have been perfect except for the fact that the CD player didn't work because someone had jammed a truly horrible sort of 70s rock cover thing in there - and drove down on Friday evening, came back last night. I got in around 10 Friday night and the elaborate smoking of two big pork shoulders was well under way with all kinds of high tech thermometers and worrying and huddling in conference and drinking PBRs around this truly cool huge cement block smoker/grill thing that M has built in his yard. Saturday was more setup, washing of oysters, making of baked beans from scratch (they didn't turn out too well IMHO, but now I know what to do next time) and cuddling of other old friend's adorable 6 week old daughter. Many many people showed up, lots of old friends, much beer was drunk, much bbq & oysters & crabs were eaten; there was music and fireworks and a huge bonfire, all good. And it didn't rain until after the party ended - and although it was COLD, it wasn't unbearable as long as you stayed near the fire. As soon as my film is developed I will post pictures, be excited.

Digital camera aside: I don't have one. And the reason I don't was actually reiterated at the party, where I was the only person taking pictures, with my trusty old point n' shoot, as well as being probably the only one who doesn't own a digital. The thing is, I can get mine developed & put on a CD for like $2 more, and then I have prints which I can immediately put into my obsessively organized photo albums, AND jpgs to play with. If they were just .jpgs I would never print them, which is what one of my friends at the party was saying: she never bothers to print them, so what good are they? After all, if we do go to war with Iran and it's the end of the world as we know it, and we have zero sum culture, a CD will do you no good. But you can huddle around the tire fire in the bombed out supermarket and flip through photo albums and have yourself a nice nostalgic weep.

Now the weather here today is unbearable. Which just makes being back at my job so wonderful, and then my boss just had a talk with me, and I didn't get the job I was trying to get here. And I'm pissed off. I am so qualified for this job, I would be so good at it, and it SUCKS that my boss didn't see fit to give it to me. So now I am just all upset. I knew she wasn't going to give it to me, and I know the reasons, and some of them are even what she just told me with sugar on it, which is that she doesn't think she can find anyone to do what I'm currently doing (masochists like me don't come along every day) but I'm still upset. So, blah. Must find new job. . . must find new job. . .

No comments: