Sunday, September 03, 2006

Holy Trivia, Batman!

I've been invited to go to Atlanta to audition for Jeopardy!! OH MY GOD! I am so incredibly excited! I took an online Jeopardy test (that I found out about on Metafilter, naturally) a couple of months ago and, since I didn't hear anything back, forgot all about it, figuring that I had blown the test on the Dreyfus Affair question, which I had completely blanked on. Oh well, sure I have always wanted to be on Jeopardy, but you know, whatever: it hasn't been a high priority in my life, not really even up there with such goals as owning a llama or a pygmy fainting goat and well behind marrying Nicolas Cage. BUT NOW, OMG, I AM GOING TO GO TO ATLANTA AND TRY OUT FOR JEOPARDY BECAUSE I GOT A SPECIAL EMAIL INVITATION, HOLY FUCK, CAN NICOLAS CAGE BE FAR BEHIND? Perhaps I will win a pygmy fainting goat! Help, I will have to lose a ton of weight and get my eyebrows waxed! Yipes!

This is what the email said:
Congratulations! You have been selected for a follow-up appointment at an upcoming Jeopardy! contestant search for the Atlanta area, exclusively for those who successfully passed the online test. This is the next step in becoming a Jeopardy! contestant. We have reserved the following appointment for you:

When: Wednesday, October 11th Time: 9:30am
Where: Atlanta, GA

You must RSVP within two business days of receipt of this email to secure your place in the audition. When you RSVP via email, please provide the following:

1) Date and time of your invite
2) Your name
3) Your City & State
4) Your Phone Number

Due to overwhelming demand we can only hold your spot for two business days. If you respond after that period of time, and if we still have space, we will be happy to provide you with an appointment.

Your appointment is non-transferable, and only those who receive this invitation directly from Jeopardy! may RSVP to book an appointment. Each RSVP will be matched against an invite list and forwarded invitations will not be honored.

The auditions will last about 2 hours.

Once you RSVP, we will email you a letter of confirmation within five business days that will give you the exact location and other information regarding trying out. Should you have a major conflict with the time and date provided, you may respond to this email to explain the nature of the situation. Again, please provide your name, city and phone number. If you do not receive a response in three business days, please contact us by phone.

Appointments are very limited, so please be sure you can join us before you RSVP.

So of course I immediately emailed them back and said, oh yes, I WILL be there, although it would be nice if I could come later, like around noon, so I don't have to leave Asheville at 5 in the morning, but if I have to, I will. So here we go: I am already nervous. I better go to the library and read the encyclopedia or something, holy shit, how does one prep for a Jeopardy tryout? How will I cope with the shame if I don't cut it at the auditions? Or, possibly even more frightening, what if I do cut it at the auditions and I have to get on a plane (I'm terrified of flying) and go to California, a distant and foreign land? Eeeep! I am scared! I am afraid! I am nervous! I am excited and jubilant! Wheee! And so, here is a picture of cloggers from the Apple Festival which I went to yesterday to calm us all down. ;-)

6 comments:

Jim Jenkins said...

Damn, Fliss that's some exciting shit. I'd bone up on the British Monarchy & Shakespeare since I always screw those up. Congrats and keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

I'd have to buy a television.

mygothlaundry said...

I'm going to have to get a television too! Either that or see if I can get old Jeopardy shows online or something - help, I have to study! What if they have sports questions? Sports questions are hopeless - I know nothing at all about sports. Wheeeee! This is so exciting!!

Edgy Mama said...

Hurrah! I think we should have blogger Jeopardy night to prepare you for the interview!

I used to play Jeopardy with my high school students to help them with Greek and Roman mythology!

Bliss said...

Good luck! I've auditioned for Jeopardy twice

Bliss said...

Ack! I was in the middle of typing when it saved for no apparent reason!

Anyway: I've tried out twice. I passed the test at the College Tournament tryout in 1990, but they didn't pick me for the show. I tried out again last year, but I didn't pass the test because there were several geography-related questions, and I suck at geography. So I suggest you read an atlas before you go!