Thursday, August 24, 2006

Wish Me Luck

I am about to turn off the computer and install a new CD-R drive. Yes, all by my techie little self. Remember, I'm the woman who successfully installed RAM - upside down. Which is supposed to be impossible, but I managed it. Now, I'm about to install a CD drive, because the vast number of photos on the hard drive is making World of Warcraft slow, and we cannot have that, boys and girls, because then our fire breathing horse will get cranky and we cannot gallop seamlessly through the desert for ages and ages while insisting we are doing something much more important than homework or sleep. So the photos will go onto CDs and be stored away to be forgotten, and the horse will gallop on.

It's a bit worrisome, because I can't back up my data first, because. . . wait for it. . I don't have a CD drive to back it up onto! That's why I'm installing one! Actually, that isn't strictly true. I have not one but TWO CD burners in my computer; problem is, neither one of them really work. Each of them works just a teensy bit, now and then, when they aren't busy making thwacka thwacka flop noises, refusing to release my CDs or being snubbed by the rest of the computer. I always feel bad for snubbed hardware; it seems so mean to say "Computer does not recognize the CD drive", or, even more cutting, "there is no CD drive." There was a CD drive there two weeks ago, asshole, and you were perfectly friendly then. What happened? Someone let their bar tab get out of control?

At any rate, I decided not to go out tonight so I could complete this vital task, and I had better hop to it. I also printed out a rasterbation of a sunflower that I made and I'm going to hang in my office. It's going to look fabulous, but, having now done one rasterbation, I would recommend, if you are going to do one, to pick a very clear, very graphic image with very few colors. The rasterbater is just not so good at color and my sunflower is kind of washed out looking. Still, it's cool. Supair cooo-ul, as the French radio announcer said of Augustus Pablo. And it will help my concrete dungeon of an office, as will the betta I'm going to install there at some point in the near future, at least, until it dies (she said cheerfully.)

1 comment:

Kyle said...

Damned warlocks!