Monday, August 28, 2006

End of August

It's the end of August and the orb weavers are busy on both porches, building huge webs of unestimable beauty and waiting in them, flinching a little when the dog barks but staying put. They weave at night and my best efforts can't seem to take a picture of how fantastically elegant their webs are; they're very elegant spiders in general, golden, bulbous, patient.

My friend J and I and Theo the dog went out to Douglas Falls near Barnardsville today. It was awesome & totally beautiful - should be some pictures up on Flickr momentarily. It's a long and gorgeous drive up a dirt road up the mountain to get there and then a short hike down to the falls. I'm so glad I found it again; it had been years since I'd been there. Then we went and had dinner and a beer at the Lucky Otter. It's days like this (except for the morning, when not one but TWO carefully set alarm clocks failed to go off and so I was late all day) when I'm glad I live here, when a lovely drive through the country can take you to a (more or less) pristine waterfall with noone else around, and then 45 minutes drive again, past the same bucolic cows, and you're having a beer on the porch of the Otter, watching West Asheville go by. It's perfect here sometimes, in late August, under the sunset.

1 comment:

Doug said...

My wife and I hiked to Douglas Falls in June or maybe early July but there wasn't much water comming over the falls :(