Monday, August 07, 2006

Hi, We're From The Internet

It was the internet meetup to end all internet meetups, the ne plus ultra, the supreme, the compleat, the absolute coollest: Bunnystock. Eight people from the internets get together for an Asheville weekend: it was wild and tremendous fun. I'm exhausted today. I had all these plans and things I had to do today - did any of them get done? Hell no. I've just been sitting here obsessively looking at my photos and eating Utz crab chips which the mid Atlantic contingent kindly brought me.

It's funny getting together in Real Life with people you only know online, but not as funny as non internet people think it is. They feel like old friends; there's not much shyness; it's not at all like meeting strangers, because, well, they aren't strangers. They're friends of mine, people I know - from the internet, which to me is pretty much the same thing as knowing them from work, or a class, or wherever it is that you meet your friends. Still, it's a bit odd in the greater social context, and we were all aware of that. So we made a lot of obligatory axe murderer jokes: "Everyone get their issued axe? This is the axe murderer's convention!" and we told waitresses that we were From the Internet, which went over much better than we kind of thought it would. The stigma that used to attach to online socializing seems to be thankfully disappearing.

And now I'm going to bed. Good night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm from the internet, and as such, have the authority to say that our fine hostess and all the other Ashevillians I met at bunnystock are amazing, interesting, wonderful people. Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

I know it's a cliche, but you really are the hostess with the mostest.