Saturday, September 10, 2005

Ghost Fire

Okay, so I'm playing with artrage and discovering that it can be used to smudge & paint over photos, big fun, so of course I'm using a picture of A taken at the Flying Frog that she hates & I rather like. As I'm painting her eyebrows green, I notice all this red and yellow behind her in the reflection of the glass doors into the Haywood Park Hotel. I took the photo and cut it and blew it up a bit and damned if it doesn't look exactly as if the building across the street is on fire. So I looked online to see if I could find any history of a Haywood Street fire (shut up! It is too a ghost fire reflection! It is so totally not just the evening sun on the windows!) but I couldn't find anything, so I will have to call F, who knows everything about Asheville history and discover the truth.

Ghosts after all like having their picture taken and appear that way all the time. Witness the classic photo which I alas no longer own that shows a ball of ectoplasmic energy hovering over my kids carving pumpkins. The reason I no longer have it is that I went on a couple of computer dates with a guy from LEMUR and he looked at it and said, "Ah! Classic ectoplasmic activity!" and I loaned it to him for further investigations. Then we sorta kinda broke up or whatever you call it when you like somebody from a computer dating service okay but the world does not move and so it kind of fizzles out. Anyway I am familiar with ghosts and their fondness for photography and I say, this is the reflection of a fire from long ago.

Aaaaahhheeeeeooooooooooo!! Insert spooky music here.

2 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

It really does look like the building across the street is on fire. I would ask if the Flying Frog had put in a hibachi grill or something but I'm pretty certain that behind the glass is a regular alcohol bar. Very interesting indeed.

Sweet Tea said...

By the way, I found your blog at BlogAsheville and I think I met you at the last meeting, well saw you. =)