Wednesday, February 09, 2005

I Got A New Job la la la la la

Yup, I did, it's official, as of February 25 I will no longer be enslaved by the art museum! I will then move on to servitude of a quite different kind, in the food & bev world, working as a sort of PA/general manager type person for an Irish pub, a vegetarian restaurant and a small brewing company. Wahooo!!! I am partly terrified and partly elated and actually I don't quite believe it yet, but I turned in my resignation letter on Monday and there you have it: I am free. And for the first time for many many years I have slipped the chains of nonprofit arts management and I am venturing into this strange capitalist thing: the For Profit Business. I have this crazy desire to make actual money; I am really tired of starving for a Noble Cause.

I still had to spend the day at a stupid workshop on cultural tourism - I did see my friend C. there though, she's an artist, ex gallery owner and I told her how I had quit and all and said, "Wish I wasn't here - I hate tourists and I'm not even in the arts anymore!" Wow. So much for my career. The hell with it. It got me precisely nowhere.

Anyway I am seeing the hand of fate in all this, it has been serendipitous, eerie, and if I believed in such things I would think that it was meant. Definitely it was past time for me to get out of the museum, I had become embittered and disgruntled and it was all no good, for me or anyone else. Although I do feel a bit of a pang at losing my 3 weeks vacation, sigh, that would have kicked in in September. I have walked into this job kind of blind, I still don't have a contract, I have nothing in writing, I don't know the vacation specs or any of that, all I have is three meetings, a handshake, a verbal promise of a salary that's about 7 grand more than my current one and assurance of health insurance. So this may be one of the dumber moves of my life yet - it is quite possible that Leap First, Look Later, my perennial personal philosophy, has gotten me again - but I don't care. If it doesn't work out it doesn't work out and something else will come along: meanwhile at least I got the hell out of the fucking museum and broke the chains of inertia. WAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: