Thursday, February 10, 2005

Complete Rambling Meanderings

It's snowing; maybe I won't have to go to work tomorrow? No, I will, I'm sure. Does it even matter? I only have 11 more working days - well 12 actually, I have to work an event - before I change jobs. Still no contract in the mail. I have to email or call him and tell him that I need a contract, I need to know various things like the exact salary, the exact health insurance skinny, and how much time I get off. Normal people have all this info before they take a job. But this is not a normal job. The funny thing is how all my friends have reacted: they all say "This is so YOU! This is perfect for you!" I guess, yes, because it's disorganized, involves beer and music, and seems a bit drifty and amorphous. Maybe I should go to law school and prove them all wrong! Ha! Hmmm, no, too much work. . . maybe I should go down to the bar and work on my cutting edge contemporary arts center business plan with my friend D - that's realism. I wish.

Before I go to sleep at night I daydream and sometimes I start in designing odd things. Last night it was a cozy small waterproof cat house (no, not a cathouse, a house for cats) to put on my back porch for the evenings when Mr. Bill and Barbieri won't come inside by the time I go to bed. It was like a dogloo but better - OMG. I went looking for a link to explain dogloos and found THIS. I have to get it for my mom, it's brilliant and horrifying, and she has a horrid little dog like that. Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled paragraph: last week I was trying to design the perfect chicken coop. I still want to have chickens, but I recognize the deep insanity of this. It's right up there with my brilliant business plan of the late 90s: Felicity's Rent a Llama. I still have a warm spot for that one. . . maybe it could be Felicity's Rent a Llama and Fresh Eggs. Or egg rental, that's an undeveloped market. Strange rentals, niche marketing at its finest. Rent a bag of groceries to carry around for a while, rent a kid to take to a company picnic, rent a dog to walk, rent me and my friends to liven up your party. Rent my house for your office during the day, rent my car all day long when I'm not using it - if I lived in a bigger city those would actually work.

I don't know why I would want more pets when the ones I have are so unsatisfactory. My one dog is a terrible pervert: he chews up my underwear and takes my socks out in the yard and in the morning he actually licks my sheets. If a boyfriend did that I'd be charmed, but, not just yet being at the full Xaviera Hollander pitch of sexual frustration, I don't want to date a collie. The other dog is a Milkbone addict who needs a 12 step program and some therapy. He comes apart waiting for his milkbone fix every evening; he's always trying to nudge the appointed hour (9:30) up. Also, but this is sad, he's so old, and getting so decrepit that I no longer take him out for a walk, I take him for a hobble. He likes to hobble around the front yard and then make a daring 10 fph (feet per hour) dash towards the neighbor's mailbox. I pretend I can't catch him and it really cheers him up, it's a truly pathetic thing. Even more so when I talk to him in his own patented grumpy old geezer voice. One of these days the neighbors will stage an intervention. And the cats love only each other. Barbieri will bite my legs at night when he's hungry; this is cute now, when I have like 5 heavy comforters on my bed to ward off the $200 tank of oil induced 62 degree thermostat, but I can tell that it will not be cute at all in the summer. Mr. Bill, who I foolishly adore, merely tolerates me, and sometimes not even that. No wonder I love him; as always, I'm a sucker for unrequited love.

I went to see The Life Aquatic last night and it was cute, nothing more, nothing less. I liked the little animatronic fish & lizard things though, and the snakes, and the 3 legged dog, but Wes Anderson's movies always strike me as cold, hard things, and I was sad when they didn't rescue the dog, and when Bill Murray flipped the lizard away.

I've been sitting here on the net for about 3 hours, surfing mindlessly. I love the fact that you can just click next blog and wander from blog to blog to blog, I could do it forever. In fact, I do.

No comments: