Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Yesterday's Hangover was Scrumptious + some rants on mental health care

Yesterday was a hangover for the books - I hate the progressive ones, that get worse as the day goes on. Woke up at 4 in the morning, sweating, miserable, but not TOO awful. Drank water, took aspirin, read for an hour. Got up again at 8:00 & felt - okay. Had breakfast. Took a shower, everything was okay and I made it to work. All day I just got more and more tired - exhausted - and just plain brain dead. I mean I could barely string a sentence together. Maybe I have wet brain. That would suck. So I came home, passed out, woke up, ate huge amounts of pasta, and went back to bed. Felt better the next morning.

This is the next morning. Today my son went in for what I thought was a psych screening. No! It was, in fact, an appointment to make an appointment. An appointment that could have been done over the phone quite well. An appointment that will probably use up my entire health insurance mental health allowance, so I will not be able to pay for the appointments (yes, two. You can't expect one highly paid doctor to do everything, now can you?) that were made at this appointment. This bites. But I'm out of outrage - I'm just tired. This is how they get you; not by malevolence, but by entropy and outrage fatigue. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Meanwhile, in other cutting edge financial news, I'm broke. At least, I think that's the technical term. I managed to overdraw my checking account to the tune of about $200 last week, how? I don't know. I knew it was close but I thought there was about $40 in there. And not only that, but I used my debit card at the post office to mail some packages for my job on Friday. There were three packages; each of them cost $3.85. I had to put my card in three times, since the machine wouldn't allow me to do more than one transaction per card reading. Well, I have something euphemistically called "overdraft protection" which means that the bank pays the merchant when my account is overdrawn - instead of letting it bounce - but they charge me $25 a hit and they don't tell me about it until days later. You guessed it - I'm out $75 for those three transactions of $3.85 each. Well, I'm out $50, because I went to the bank in tears and begged. They took one fee off. Big of them.

And, to top things off, my car has two lights, two odd squiggly lights on the dashboard that have lit up - they did it just as I pulled into my driveway tonight. I've been googling for a while and I can't find a list of Saturn ideograms to tell me what they mean. I think they mean that the battery & the coolant aren't working. This has a picture that looks like the one I got - the red one which it says is the cooling system and the blocky black one, which I guess is the battery. Now what? Do I go to the laundromat & the grocery store anyway? Or what? It never rains but it fucking pours. . .

No comments: