Friday, November 19, 2004

The Promised Turkey Story

From the post below - the vegetarian kids & the turkey. They only eat meat once a year at M's school, and it's meat that they've raised themselves. The idea, which I completely agree with, is that if you eat meat, you ought to be willing to kill it yourself. I agree with this in theory, mind you. I am omniverous, and I have never killed anything larger than a mouse, and I am not going to eat mice. Nope. I'll eat grass and die like my ancestors, green stained mouth and the British driving by in carriages, before I'll eat mice. (she says, crossing her fingers, praying it never comes to that) At any rate, today* the turkeys died for dinner tomorrow.

M said that, since any student who wanted to participate could, they all did. And he said,

"They kept on killing it. At first they were grossed out but then they got excited and just kept on killing it after it was dead."
"What about you?" I said,
"No, I left." he said
"Oh right," I said, "I forgot how much you hate animals being hurt. Did you leave before it happened?"
"No," he said, "I felt like I should watch it, but once they slit it's neck and the blood dripped down, and everyone else started yelling and stuff, I felt sick, and I just left."

I love this kid, I love love love love this kid. I will note, however, that when I said, whoa, just like Lord of the Flies, he had no idea what I was talking about. Mental note: buy about 10 copies of Lord of the Flies and donate to the school. Mental second note: Are you insane?


*this seems late to me. Aren't they supposed to hang for a week or something? I read some book where this guy drifts up on the shores of Japan and like, totally horrifies all the Japanese by hanging his meat for days and days. Do we not still do that?

No comments: