Thursday, December 18, 2008

Money For Nothin'


cloudy sunrise
Originally uploaded by mygothlaundry
and the chicks for free. Defective yeti scores again.

In other economic news, I'm thinking we can't afford to eat meat anymore. Every time I go to the grocery store I get all freaked out at spending like $8 on a package of chicken breasts - and these aren't even the free range organically fed happy chickens, either, these are the fowl equivalents of child slaves chained to looms making rugs in Pakistan. The only problem with not eating meat anymore (besides the horror and woe that will cross the face of He Who Shall Not Be Blogged About) is that vegetables are about as expensive now. Lemons are almost a dollar each. A dollar per lemon. That's going to cut seriously into the summer lemonade stand trade, not to mention a vast variety of drinks.

It is a little scary, heading into a depression. Okay, it's a lot scary. Previous recessions have never bothered me much but then I never before had anything to lose. Now, as I deal with this whole insane and apparently endless house saga (you don't want to know. No, I don't actually really own the damn thing yet. Yes, I still want to. Yes, because of the speed or lack thereof of this process, I may end up taking a really huge and horrible tax hit. Argh!) I'm realizing that I might eventually end up owning something. That I could lose. This is highly worrisome, although I do feel that at least my house is fairly defensible in case of zombies or marauding hordes looking for gasoline and water or whatever else gets scarce during the end of the world as we know it. This theory may even have already been tested: the other day I went out on the back porch and there was a pair of binoculars and a Japanese sword sitting on the bench. I didn't want to ask.

No comments: