Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day


Well, here it is Valentine's Day again and for what may be the very first time in my entire life, it's making me happy. I mean, not only do I actually have a boyfriend (note to said boyfriend, dude, there had better be something in the mailbox when I get home. I mean there had better be. Just kidding. Sort of.) but my kids are old enough where we no longer have to experience the particular deadly level of hell that is early elementary school valentine creation and distribution and, to top it off, I'm getting awesome valentines from a bunch of my cyber friends. If you are still looking for e-valentines, by the way, you could do worse than going here, although their servers seem to be clogged up with panicky last minute people, so don't be surprised if they vanish suddenly. Oh and also, in other good Valentines news, my mother gave me a lovely card, which was awesome and, better yet, it was not signed by the dog. The sole, lonely valentine signed by the dog that appeared in my 15 year old self's boarding school mailbox one February in the late 70s is not one of my most absolute favorite happy memories, although it's good for low comedy and a little pathos.

Speaking of low comedy and high pathos, look! I found you a fantastic and amazing Matt Groening love image. This also served to make my day - I remember these so clearly from the glory days of the Baltimore City Paper and I'd still put them up against the Simpsons for sheer genius. Remember, kids: Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come.

In other news, there has been at least one pair of geese at the river every morning this week. I'm taking this as a nice Valentine's omen of mating for life and all that and conveniently ignoring the freaked out honking that they make every time I appear (which would mean, I guess, that I manage to instill fear into even the platonic ideal of mating for life) and the fact that, actually, I'm terrified sensibly afraid of geese, since they are aggressive predatory dinosaur birds who chased me up a set of stairs once when I was 10, leaving deep psychic scars.

Anyway, I'm off to Charleston this weekend for warm weather and fun. Happy Valentine's Day, y'all! Hope it is a wonderful, fantastic and great one!

No comments: