Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Unemployment: The Reality Show and the New Harry Potter

Unemployment is going to give me almost $300 a week!! Whoot! I am all, like, happy now! Except for the panicky feeling, that is. But really, that's nearly what I was making and now I don't have to go to work. So I am thinking I will do all these really great wonderful things: write a book, make art, go camping by myself and possibly even go on some kind of half assed vision quest - you know, the whole thing. Self realization & creativity, hooray!

That was yesterday. To complete my vision quest yesterday I went and bought some new underwear and rented two more discs from the first season of Angel. Yeah vision. They're really cute underwear from Victoria's Secret. Since I have no job and no boyfriend, I need such things. Hmmm. Perhaps this isn't going so well after all.

Then I dreamt last night that I was a vampire, and not a nice one like Angel either. I was your basic total evil vampire (albeit much sexier than that picture) and perfectly happy about it. Actually it was fun. Now I'm worried that perhaps this forebodes some appearance of total evil in my soul, or, I've been evil all along and just haven't noticed! Bwah ha ha ha ha ha. Although then you would think I'd be rich with a castle and tank full of sharks and all the other beautiful accoutrements of evil.

Maybe that's what I'll do with my spare time - create an evil empire of doom. As opposed to lying on my bed reading bad sci fi novels. I read the new Harry Potter in about 6 hours on Sunday: we are not amused. No, we are not amused at all. If I was weirder than I in fact am, I would be tempted to rewrite it on the internet. Or actually I'd go back and start rewriting with the last book, since Sirius Black is the first fictional character I've been desperately in love with since Zonker Harris, and when Sirius died I was heartbroken. My feelings for Zonker, on the other hand, have just kind of faded over time. I grew and he didn't. Or something. But at any rate, JK Rowling, who I admire desperately, being as that I am also a poor single mother with a tendency to type a lot, has, in her last book, set herself up to write a whole bunch more Harry Potter books and they keep getting further apart, and, sorry, worse. She's a bazillionaire now, why try to extend the franchise? Unless she's in love with her characters, but given that she keeps killing off the most interesting ones, I find that difficult to believe. So, JK, I am peeved. Not only wasn't the book that good, there wasn't enough of it!

No comments: