Thursday, July 28, 2005

James McMurtry

is as a god. You may have gathered that I hold this opinion from certain other posts on this blog. He's right up there with Nicolas Cage & RB Morris on my personal stuck on a desert island with list. Here is his new protest song: We Can't Make It Here Anymore. Play it. As usual I love it, agree with it, and it is most awesome, although not, well, uplifting. Hee. But then who wants uplifting? Also, this site has downloads of more of his recent music. Check it out. Than go buy the CD when it comes out. Hell, go buy all his CDs, support great music, brilliant songwriting and dark humor. This is my fangirl rant for the day - I love love love James McMurtry. I even have his picture in my bedroom: because I am at heart a 13 year old. Which you may have already guessed.

However, surfing along through the various fan comments on his site I was surprised at how many ranting right wing dittoheads were complaining about his politics. James (may I call you James? Thank you. Shaken, not stirred.) has never, to me at least, come across as either apolitical or a right wing moron apologist and it seems kind of remarkable to me that he would count a bunch of them among his fans. OTOH, I can see where it must be tough to be a Republican who likes music. Good music isn't made by the right wing - creativity, talent & brains don't seem to be a natural fit with the Bush administration, after all. If they want music, or art, or movies, they have to listen to us, hee hee, but then they complain bitterly about getting politics mixed in with their music. God save us from content, I guess. Let's not have any content in our entertainment. Please let's never think. Let's leave the content up to Karl Rove & his ilk: content should come direct from the Diktator, otherwise it's disloyal. Sometimes I hate this century. And no, we can't make it here anymore.

No comments: