Tuesday, July 21, 2009
1. Pictures are going up. I just spent the whole day working on the first two days of the trip and they're up on flickr; check them out.
2. New Orleans is amazing and two and a half days is nowhere near enough to explore it. I want to go back and stay longer. If I was ever going to leave Asheville, which I doubt I am, I might just move to New Orleans.
3. New Orleans is like a weird mixture of my two hometowns, Charleston and Baltimore and so walking around it was peculiarly dreamlike, everything familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. Or maybe that was the fact that you can drink on the street and everybody does. No, I think it was just dreamlike.
4. The coffee at Cafe du Monde is fantastic and even the can of coffee that I brought home, dutiful tourist that I am, is wonderfully delicious.
5. Seeing the Lower Ninth and the levee where the barge broke through and speaking to a woman with friends in the neighborhood was really sobering, eye opening, harsh and intense.
And that's it for now, kids. There will be more. Much, much more.