Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Malevolent Deities and TV

You know that last post? The one where I’m all happy and shit and say I’ve been replaced by a joyous pod person of loving grace? That’s just the sort of drooling idiocy that you’d expect from someone who momentarily forgot that this earth is a vale of struggle and thorns and the gods are armed malevolent beings with macabre senses of humor. In other words, my car broke down and the Saturn people have no shame at all about charging a hundred bucks for a radiator cap. Such is life: we’re all doomed and the best you can get is a gallows laugh on the way down. Or not. Actually I’m still pretty cheerful – significantly poorer, with no prospects for being able to heat the house this winter, but cheerful. Relatively, anyway.

REMINDER! I am going to be on NATIONAL TELEVISION TONIGHT, as part of a documentary on CNN this very evening at 8:00 pm. Sources say my part is towards the end, so if you don’t tune in until 8:30 you might still see me. Or you might not. If not, can you live with the guilt? Hee hee. My brother said, “Aren’t you going to tape it?” and I said, “Of course not, I don’t even have a TV, remember?” Which is true – all I have is a DVD player with a screen. I mean, I could turn it into a TV with the application of $15 or so a month but I have these moral qualms about paying actual cash money to invite the media demons into your house to corrupt your children’s brains. Also, TV makes me jittery and I don’t have enough of an attention span to actually watch it. So my brother said, “Oh, I see. There are two kinds of people – those who are ON TV and those who WATCH it and you’re going to be the first kind, huh?” These words, believe it or not, were just slightly tinged with sarcasm and irony but I chose to take them literally and actually they made me feel like a photographer from People Magazine might appear behind the butterfly bush in my backyard at any moment, which is a really good feeling unless, of course, you happen to be wearing your red plaid fleece baggy pants.

6 comments:

Edgy Mama said...

you did good, grrl, on the tube.

i've got to see Heath bar tonight, so I'm glad they excerpted a rather soft point of mine!

mygothlaundry said...

You looked good too! I thought all in all it was a pretty nice piece, although I wish they'd done more about Asheville.

Jim Jenkins said...

You both rocked! I thought that I came across as simply bitching that Heath wasn't liberal enough. Oh, well. I still think that Shuler did very well, all things considered. The hippie footage and the wussies commentary made Crowley look like an idiot, which I pretty much think she is.

Anonymous said...

I saw ya on TV last night. Good job!! Save for some of the overplay on the part of Crowley (mentioned above), here in the heartland, I thought the piece rather decent (particularly during an election cycle).

Anonymous said...

Hooray for YOU and JAY!

mygothlaundry said...

Thanks, y'all! I'm not entirely sure yet how I feel about it - I think I need to see it again. On the one hand I agree with the show's premise that the Dems have been fucking up like nobody's business, but on the other hand I can see where a lot of what they said made it look like yet more right wing spin. Hmmmmm - and of all the things I said, since they talked to me for a good 10 minutes, there were other soundbites I wish they had picked instead.