Tuesday, April 12, 2005

SNAKE!!

This is to go right along with the post RAT!! which you can find in early February somewhere and I bet you can guess what it is all about. Yes, the cats brought me a dead snake yesterday. Snakes don't bother me as much as rodents do, so it wasn't as horrifying an experience overall. Now, it's not that I really like snakes; I'm not out there calling them, or letting them slither all over me, or anything, but I don't intensely fear and loathe them, like I do mice and rats. I respect snakes, I have no problem with them from a distance, and I appreciate the way they eat mice and rats.

So, I came home yesterday at lunch and just as I was leaving, Barbieri came in the dog door with a small snake in his mouth. It was more than I could handle right then, so I just went ahead and left, without returning to the kitchen for my sunglasses or anything. All afternoon I wondered about the snake: was it dead? Was it alive? And, if it was alive, what were the chances that it had made it's way into the bedroom and was even now waiting for me between the sheets? Then I wondered if there was anyone in Asheville I could call to come find out - some male friend of mine who would come over and bravely search the house for the snake. I realized that there is actually noone I can call, even though I really like the idea of the wording: "Hey baby. Can you come over and look for a snake? (suggestive pause) In my bed?" But alas, I don't have anyone like that and I knew I had to handle the snake myself.

Anticlimactic ending: When I got home, I was relieved to find it dead on the kitchen throw rug. I picked up the whole rug & tilted it into the trash and the snake slid sadly away. I did worry about it coming back to life as a horrible zombie snake from hell but the chances seemed slim, and anyway it was only a small harmless little garden snake. So, now the cats have brought me rats, mice, snakes and birds, and the former cat brought me baby rabbits. What the hell is next? Aardvarks?

No comments: