Monday, August 30, 2010

Nostalgia


rocks
Originally uploaded by mygothlaundry
Recently I have been on a quest to rediscover the hotties of my youth. My youth, you understand, was so long ago that we did not even use the word hotties. We said hunks, or, well, actually I didn't, but I think it was occasionally used in magazines. However, oh youth of today, some things do not change and no matter how uncomfortable it must make you to contemplate it, we had hormones too back then. I believe my own personal hormones were first activated by the Monkees, although my great love for Davy Jones was tempered by several issues, namely, that I was nine and he was, like, a grown up who was shorter than me. This was also the problem with my adoration for Chekov on Star Trek: all the fantastic fake Russian accents in the world cannot make up for someone who is shorter than your ten year old self.

Early loves are all very well and I'm not going to get into the first R rated movie I ever saw, because Robert Redford deserves his own blog post. Still, even with 3 Days of the Condor behind me, I didn't know true love until my mother and I watched every minute of Poldark on Masterpiece Theater. My mother was an intellectual snob par excellence - she never watched TV unless it came from England, in which case it was Educational and Culturally Superior. Well, except for Beat the Clock and the Doris Day show - she liked those too. Still, she never watched soaps or sitcoms or anything like that, unless you count Upstairs, Downstairs; Mystery; and every single damn BBC production that was ever introduced to the States by the mellifluous tones of Alastair Cooke on Sunday nights. Be careful not to get mixed up! Masterpiece Theater was hosted by Alastair Cooke, not Aleister Crowley, who would have put together quite a different program, no doubt.

I was usually kind of bored by Masterpiece Theater, even when I was allowed to stay up to watch it (we were properly raised, which is to say we were put to bed hideously early) but since it came on after Mutual of Omaha and then Disney, both of which we were allowed to watch, sometimes I got to see it anyway. My boredom, however, changed with the advent of Poldark, which was basically a filmed adaptation of a slightly more literate than usual series of historical romances set in Cornwall. I have never been to Cornwall but I have read any number of novels set there and those, with the influence of Poldark, make me feel as if I know the place. It's infested with elves, holy Grails, sleeping knights, smoldering smugglers, ghosts, ladies in strategically torn white nighties, thrashing dramatic scenery and lots of cliffs that people throw themselves off on a regular basis. Excellent, in other words. Poldark was something else again and my mother and I were completely, absolutely and totally hooked. The tempetuousness of it all! The incredibly good looking Ross Poldark! Oh my god, Ross Poldark. Be still, my twelve year old heart!

I inherited my mother's beliefs on TV - if it comes from the UK, it's good; from the US, it's bad - and thus in the early 80s I was ripe for Robin Hood. Robin of Sherwood was not only one of the most beautiful men (in a specifically early 80s kind of way) I had ever seen, it also had veiled references to Celtic mythology and a kind of Enya meets the Temptations proto New Age soundtrack. I was hooked, even more than I was hooked on Excalibur, which is saying a lot, since Excalibur was apparently the only movie that the Charleston, SC infant cable company had full rights to - they played it more or less 24 / 7 and I knew every word. Still, there was nobody gorgeous in the entire cast of Excalibur while Robin. . . oh god. . . Robin.

As we age, our hormones settle down a bit and these bland young actors cannot stir them. I tried watching the new BBC Robin Hood early this summer - I have had a thing for Robin Hood my entire life, okay, I confess - but I was unmoved. My daughter, who does not have a thing for Robin Hood at all, possibly because of all the various Robin Hoods I, her mother, have made her sit through, said something cranky about how stupid Robin Hood was, really. Nonsense! I said, wait until you meet the real Robin Hood, the sexiest Robin Hood ever! And I launched myself on a quest to find my Robin Hood of memory and lo, since one of the truly all good things to come out of the 21st century is Netflix, I found it.

Huh. It's very, um, early 80s. Robin does seem to spend a lot of time sweeping his hair out of his eyes. He's kind of cute but. Well. It's just . . . just not the SAME! I can't stand it! And neither could my daughter, who said cutting things about the soundtrack - "Are they singing? They're singing! They're singing ROBIN. . . ROBIN IN THE WOODS!" and the hairdos. And then I, in some kind of defense, went online and discovered that I was not the only middle aged woman in the world who still harbored a secret crush but that at least I had not devoted my life to a fan forum. Which, all power to them, but in new pictures of Robin he's wearing kind of an alarming amount of eyeliner and, well, I just can't go there. He's aged, too. I mean, a lot. Not like me. Um. Sigh.

That was Robin Hood, though. He was never on Masterpiece Theatre and thus, despite his undeniable Britishness, was probably less cultural than Poldark.. Poldark must be different and so, when I saw that I could get Poldark from Netflix on demand last night, I forced Audrey to sit down and watch the first episode with me. Oh. Oh dear. It's rather slow. And Poldark's original love, Elizabeth, is really strange looking, as in, she looks and acts not unlike a standard poodle. A standard poodle made of wood, at that. And the titles are tempestuous, as is the scenery and the extras and, frankly, Ross Poldark is, as my daughter pointed out, kind of an asshole. I googled him too. He seems to have turned into a rather jovial old man and, damn, another idol has bitten the dust.

12 comments:

A Day in the Life of One Girl said...

2nd time I've seen this movie mentioned in the blog world! I need to see it...Bobby Redford can be on my tv any day.

http://candimandi.typepad.com/heres_lookin_at_me_kid/2010/08/movie-monday-three-days-of-the-condor.html

Anonymous said...

I loved that hottie Poldark. That horrible Elizabeth, that fiesty Demelza! Ah!!

mygothlaundry said...

Three Days of the Condor has a scene where, gasp, Robert Redford and a woman are in bed together! It blew my 12 year old mind.

Hee, Demelza is always fiesty. It's like part of her mind. I'm going to watch the rest of it, even if I do have to do it alone.

John Green said...

I often wonder where all of the hor girls are at that I went to high school with, that they are doing,how many kids did they have, and if they are still hot etc.

Anonymous said...

Belstaff Brad jacket is the Tiger Shoes top luxury and fashion brand in the world which mainly specializes in producing the fashionable and luxurious clothing.

This style belstaff jacket outlet leather jacket is one of the most popular two Jackets.A veritable classic of the Belstaff range, exceptionally comfortable to wear.Four flap-and-press-stud front pockets,
< align="left">Belstaff Jackets practical for holding everything safely.This belatsff jacket men is intended to fit snugly to provide protection and ease of movement while Hogan Shoes on a motorcycle.

high low wedding dresses said...

I like your writing very much! Thank you!

dr dre headphones said...

Protected view Microsoft Office 2010 Word, Excel and PowerPoint architecture.In Office 2010, if the file appears to be from a possible risk location (such as the Internet), then it will now open in the protected view.Office 2010 Protected View in appearance similar Microsoft Office 2010 Key to the appearance of any other read-only view.Office file validation is a new feature, which scan the file in the Office File Office 2010 Open, and validated according to the known structure. Office 2010 Key

ray ban wayfarer said...

and the terrible choice which was now to be forced upon the human race. But the effect on the life of the race was far-reaching. Although the statement of the forwards was at first

anthony jersey
j.r. smith jersey
chandler jersey

Anonymous said...

I love your blog!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

I love your style of writing and how honest you are. This blog is so witty, well done. Definitely my new favourite.

Kelebek Nakliyat said...

Our company is local and intercity transport from home to home, office moving, or you may prefer for us to thank for storage.
Şehirlerarası evden eve nakliyat
Şehirlerarası evden eve nakliye
Şehirlerarası nakliyat
Güzelyalı evden eve nakliyat
Evkon evden eve nakliyat
Şehirlerarası evden eve nakliyat

Taran singh said...

Thanks for a wonderful share. Your article has proved your hard work and experience you have got in this field. Brilliant. i love it.
Live Location of Indian Train