Monday, January 05, 2009

Enery The Eighth I Am I Am

I've become obsessed by the Tudors. This is not a new obsession - when I was a tween, or whatever hateful new word you use for being a kid over the age of 9 and under the age of 14 or whenever it was that boys become more interesting than Ann Boleyn, I was a dedicated Tudorphile. I was all about Elizabeth I who I thought was the bomb, or, well, obviously I didn't use the word bomb, which hadn't been invented yet in the good sense, but probably used some lameass seventies word like cool. Oh wait. Cool is still cool, right? Never mind. Anyway, I was into the Tudors then and I am again into the Tudors now with my recent decision to plunge madly into that swirl of heavily breathing farthingale laced, stiff lace collar tossing sixteenth century sexual shenanigans that is the oeuvre of Philippa Gregory. Last night I stayed up way too late googling Henry VIII's possible medical complaints because, you know, they're of such pressing importance. I can't help it; I've gotten this bee in my bonnet about him and some kind of crazed genetic disease that I'm sure, with my vast medical training acquired at art school, he had. So far, I'm not finding much and even the hivemind is not convinced. Fine. I'll just set up my own crazy website and start deciphering Holbein with a magnifying glass. Like this guy did. I mean, come on, it's wordy, it must be true!

I also want to know whatever happened to the Howard family, but I haven't gotten around to googling them yet. Are they still around? And, if so, are they still as sexy as they are in these books? Because then I want to meet one or two. Even if by Tudor standards I'm a little, uh, past my prime.

In other news I think my car is done and I can't wait to have it back. I actually enjoyed not having one, since it gave me an infallible excuse to laze around at home and have other people bring me stuff, but still, I want to see my car again. I drove A's car around a bit and while, yeah, it's zippy and organized and much younger than my car, it's just not the same. I want my own sweet Saturn back with all its foibles and little quirks which hopefully, oh please gods, will not cost me any more money in the foreseeable future. And I'm not going to think about how I've spent just about as much money as my car's blue book value on repairs in the last six months. Nope, not going to think about that. Except way late at night.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey MGL, did you know about the aptly named show "The Tudors" currently airing on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corp)?
http://www.cbc.ca/tudors/

Did I win the comments section? :P

LunaticFringe (estranged MeCha member)

Edgy Mama said...

Phillipa Gregory is crack. But good crack.

mygothlaundry said...

I have put the Tudors on my netflix queue, LF. ;-) And I am psyched. And yes, Philippa G. is major crack, major league like I had to borrow my daughter's car to go to Books A Million late last night so I could score some more because I finished The Boleyn Inheritance at the laundromat and immediately started to sort of shake and see double and I had to go spend too much money immediately for more. This is sick. Sick, I tell you.