Monday, November 13, 2006

Me and Andy Goldsworthy

We watched an amazing documentary tonight: Rivers and Tides, a film about the British artist Andy Goldsworthy. His work is so beautiful, I can’t stand it. I sat there and watched this incredible film about this intense artist who creates this astonishing, tremendous work that’s almost all completely ephemeral in nature and I thought well, hell, what does Andy Goldsworthy have that I don’t? Besides, you know, talent. But am I not also an Artist? By god I am, and I even have a diploma from the College of Charleston somewhere in the back of the coat closet (unless the cat peed on it, which is eminently possible) saying that I am. So I have come up with a list comparing me to Andy Goldsworthy (also, due to poor HTML or blogger or something, I have come up with a lot of weird white space, but them's the breaks and actually, you know, kind of indicative of my art, which relies heavily on it's, uh, spontaneous, childlike and whimsical qualities):









Andy GoldsworthMe
Has many books both by and about himHas read many books
Creates heart stoppingly beautiful objectsCreates heart stoppingly peculiar objects, such as my hats, also just plain heart stopping objects like my patented and amazing post gallery opening macaroni & cheese, which uses all the cheese cubes left over from any average opening and can stop up most healthy arteries in record time.
Creates objects from natural materials that become more beautiful as they fall apartCreates objects from mostly fake materials that fall apart, period.
Creates objects that are held together with amazing craftsmanshipCreates objects that fall apart without ever exhibiting one whole hell of a lot of craftsmanship
Uses natural materials, such as thorns, to hold sculptures together Uses hot glue and lots of it to hold things together, mostly unsuccessfully.
Has commissions from major international art centers.Has sold a couple of paintings out of bars.
Lives in beautiful home in Scotland.Lives in messy home in North Carolina.
Has German film makers following him about.Has springer spaniel puppy with printer ink cartridge in mouth following her about.


So you see, we are very similar, Andy Goldsworthy and I. And when the dog is done making the beautiful documentary film, the world will see the truth.

Seriously though, it’s an amazing, amazing film and well worth seeking out. They have it at Orbits; that’s where I got it. Watch it. Be amazed. Be inspired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Indeed it is an excellent film. I saw it in the theater upon its release. I hope to visit some of his stuff when I go to Scotland.